2022 Fair Updates
These are late breaking updates and clarifications to the Health & Safety Policies, Event Terms and Conditions, booking arrangements that all stall-holders, entertainers, suppliers have to be aware of and comply with [Latest at the top]:
- September 2021 – Event Health & Safety Policy, Event Terms and Conditions updated. Supplemental Event Terms and Conditions added.
- August 2021 – 2022 Fair currently planned to be going ahead but see the FAQs below
- March 2020 – updates to Terms and Conditions and associated Health & Safety Checklist
- Dec 2019 – we have added menu options under ‘Booking & Suppliers’ to highlight stalls that have had their invitations sent, those who have returned their applications and documents. Nearer the fair we hope to add entries for stall holders who have provided certificates/licences and then finally the confirmed pitches.
- We have introduced an automated system to manage our bookings – the days of paper are over! This means that stall holders, caterers etc will receive their information packs in early November BY EMAIL
We consider many factors using the government’s COVID guidance and associated risk templates. As a large, outdoor, un-ticketed, free-to-enter event for us the key ones include:
- Being an un-ticketed event means we can’t record stall holders/visitor details and so don’t know who is attending (eg for track and trace or to confirm vaccination status)
- Being an event with multiple entry points means we can’t control visitor numbers (eg to help ensure social distancing)
- Being a free event limits our ability to raise funds to provide the additional COVID precautions
- Being free means a last minute cancellation incurs all the costs with no on-the-day income eg car parks, which would hit us hard financially
- We feature live entertainment at several venues, where it would be difficult to setup the required 2m bubbles.
- There are also many other organisations who run their own events eg pubs, schools, churches etc
- Our stall layout is constrained by the size of the greens which could increase crowding and hinder stall holders/visitor compliance to social distancing/mask wearing
- The fair is held in the middle of a village and having 20k visitors would significantly increase the risk of bringing COVID to a low incidence area.
- The timing of the fair early in 2022 means there is little time, following the winter, for the pandemic to reduce.
Over the remainder of 2021 we will continue to monitor the regulations, guidance and advice for organisers of large outdoor events. We follow the guidance from the UK government, plus any specific for England.
Stall Holder Refunds
We understand that it is not easy to secure a stall at the Cuckoo Fair, which is why we would like to offer all stallholders who had carried over their booking fee from 2020 the chance to roll their booking over again to secure a stall in 2022.
As stated in our Terms and Conditions, we wouldn’t normally offer a refund if the Fair is cancelled, but given such likely difficult times ahead we would like to offer a refund to those who would prefer it, minus a £10 admin fee which will contribute to covering the costs we have incurred already this year.
To request a refund please follow the instructions in the email you have received.
This option will remain available until the end of April 2021
We aim to process refunds within a week of receiving them. Typically refunds are delayed if your bank details are incorrect so please check them especially the name of the account. These checks are being introduced by UK banks to help reduce online payment frauds. There is a phased introduction throughout 2020 – for details see this article from the UK Finance and this article from Which?
The payments have a reference DCF xxx RFND with xxx being your stall holder reference (not location of the your pitch) as printed on the letter from us.
Having cancelled the 2020 fair we unfortunately also had to cancel the 2021 fair. In terms of our funding situation the 2020 financial year incurred costs of £7,400 and the 2021 financial year will incur (fixed) costs of around £3,000. Taken together these have a large impact on the reserves we hold – reserves we need to pay our suppliers in the event of a last minute or emergency cancellation (eg Southampton Boat Show).
The £10 admin fee for each stall holder booking refund is noted in our terms and conditions and will help to cover some of the annual costs like insurance, rental and legal fees, that we have to pay regardless of whether the fair happens.
Our current understanding of government guidance is that unlike other businesses we have no employees (we are entirely volunteer supported), pay no rates, trade only once a year and so don’t qualify for any of the existing support schemes under COVID-19. Like other business who provide outdoor events we are working with trade organisations, eg the Events Industry Forum, to redress that but at the moment it appears we don’t qualify for any grants.
This admin fee money will therefore go towards ensuring that the Fair can happen in 2022 and we thank you for your understanding.
Policies, Terms and Conditions
We have updated our Health and Safety policies and the associated regulations, terms and conditions. NB the latest versions will always be on the web site.
These documents use a generic term ‘Merchant’ this is defined as everyone who has a stall, provides entertainment or provides a service to the Downton Cuckoo Fair ie all contractors, stallholders, entertainers, produce market, fairground operators, caterers and other participants.
Downton Cuckoo Fair Limited Company Health & Safety Policy [Last updated Nov 2019]
Downton Cuckoo Fair Event Health and Safety Policy [Last updated September 2021]
Downton Cuckoo Fair Event Terms and Conditions [Last updated September 2021]
Downton Cuckoo Fair Event Supplemental Terms and Conditions [Added October 2021]
Downton Cuckoo Fair Event Health & Safety Checklist [New 2020 – March 2020]
All merchants must agree to our terms and conditions.
Produce Market & Stall Details
|Type||Size||Cost||Notes – see Site Layout for Locations|
|Traditional Outside||2.5m by 2.5m||£70||Located in green, blue and purple zones and will fit a gazebo up to 2.5m|
|Maxi Outside||3m by 3m||£87||Located in orange, green, yellow and purple zones and will fit a gazebo up to 3m|
|Marquee||3m wide x 2.5m deep||£140||Located in Red and Purple Zones|
|Produce Market||3m by 3m||£87||Only available in Produce Market|
|Memorial Gardens||3m by 3m||POA||Other sizes by prior agreement|
|Commercial operators including Catering||As agreed||POA||Limited spaces available|
|Trestle tables||£6 each||Please specify numbers on booking form.
Stall holders are responsible for collection and especially stacking the tables by the roadside at the end of the fair
The Zones run (from The Bull Hotel (A338) end as follows: Orange | Green | Blue | Yellow | Red | White (& Produce) | Purple. Only Red and Purple zones have marquees. Blue zone is narrow hence no 3m x 3m gazebos are permitted.
Last years stallholders receive priority booking. As a guide our schedule, reflecting that our booking year runs from October through to March before the Fair, is:
|Finish all payments and receipts for this year’s fair||END JULY|
|Have accounts produced||END SEPT|
|Agree rates for pitches for next fair||OCT|
|Send out invitations to previous stallholders||Early NOV|
|Process the existing stall holders bookings||Mid NOV through to END DEC|
|Send out invites to new stall holders||JAN onwards|
Commercial caterers are severely restricted as we prioritise fundraisers for local good causes.
Booking Related Queries
Please see our form to contact the Booking Managers directly. This will be quicker than using Facebook / Twitter comments as it goes direct to the Booking Manager(s).
Stall holder Expressions of Interest
New applicants are welcome, however, we already have a waiting list. Rural craft demonstrators are particularly welcome. Those applicants who compliment the large selection of existing stalls will be contacted in the new year. NB We do not accept telephone applications.
If you would like to be considered to be invited to have a pitch at the Fair, please complete this form with the information.
Or contact our Booking Manager, Alan Knighton, via email@example.com