The Downton Cuckoo Fair is a large community fair involving 300 stall holders in marquees, on the beautiful greens of the Borough through the centre of the village and in the Memorial Gardens.
You will find a small fairground, rural craft demonstrations, all sorts of stalls, hot food and entertainment for all ages. There are live performances hosted by local pubs and traditional Maypole and country dancing. Due to the large area the Cuckoo Fair is unticketed and therefore free to enjoy. Its primary purpose is to enable the local schools, clubs and charities to raise funds for their causes. Downton Cuckoo Fair is an all-weather event however the Event Committee reserves the right to cancel the event should incidents or conditions outside of their control arise.
The fair is attended by a large number of people therefore certain areas of the event can become crowded so if you do not feel comfortable around large crowds of people we would advise that you do not attend this event. You might also like to consider whether you bring your hairy hounds along and any large children’s buggies which can make negotiating the narrow and busy stall areas quite tricky.
The Downton Cuckoo Fair Committee is committed to providing a safe event enjoyable to all persons and therefore the following rules are in place. We ask that you respect the happiness and wellbeing of other fair goers at all times.
- This is a community event for all ages so please behave considerately and responsibility.
- Advice and assistance is available from the Information Centre located in the middle of the Downton Cuckoo Fair near the Co-op. Lost property and children can be left / found there.
- There are large car parks @ £5 per car, provided by local charities and good causes, so please use them. Please do not obstruct the many lanes around the village which would make access for emergency vehicles difficult.
- Please note there only a couple of cash machines near the Fair and the Co-op does not offer cashback on the day of the Fair, so please bring all the money you require with you.
- Please be aware that the Downton Cuckoo Fair is held on the Borough Greens – the ground may be uneven so take care.
- Please check the weather forecast and make suitable preparations eg if it is forecast to be sunny then bring hats, sun-cream and plenty of drinking water with you. Please be prepared for lots of walking and wear appropriately comfortable footwear.
- The BBC weather forecast for the next three days can be seen here BBC forecast for Downton
- There are many events during the day so to avoid missing anything, please check out the DCF Day Leaflet – 2018.pdf Cuckoo Fair glossy 2018 DL proof.pdf and our Entertainment Programme interactive page has a timetable of the performances at the band areas and at the Maypole. Our Facebook page will be putting out any key messages or changes to the programme on the day!
- We have a very good relationship with our local Police and know they are very reasonable and friendly. Any issues will be dealt with in accordance with the law.
- The Downton Cuckoo Fair has a dedicated security team and Zone Marshalls who will be patrolling throughout the fair – please do let them know of any issues.
- We have a first aid station outside the Memorial Hall in the middle of fair by the entrance to the Fairground.
- Toilets are signed and available throughout the site.
- Announcements may be made via the PA system or by Zone Marshalls. Please follow their instructions. We will also post messages on our Twitter and Facebook pages.
Conditions of Entry
- Use of the car parks is at your own risk. All vehicles are left at the owner’s risk in the allocated parking areas. Use of the fairground attractions and rides is at your own risk.
- Dogs on leads welcomed but note that Bylaws applied to the Borough greens and the Memorial Gardens, request that dogs are not allowed to foul these areas.
- Any goods, services or items sold by stallholders will be solely their responsibility. The Downton Cuckoo Fair Committee will not be held liable for such goods, services or items. In the unlikely event of dissatisfaction with your purchase please contact the stallholder who provided them.
- Disorderly behaviour will be addressed by the event security team and/or Police Wiltshire as required. There is a zero tolerance policy on violence or threatening behaviour and offenders will be dealt with accordingly.
- Anyone believed to be carrying banned substances may be subjected, with their consent, to a search by security staff. Refusal to allow the search could result in being refused entry to the event and Police Wiltshire will be informed.
- Smoking is not permitted within any marquees or any enclosed workplace, public building or on public transport that forms part of the event
- Downton Cuckoo Fair Committee reserves the right to refuse entry for any reason to the event. Any person who is ejected from the event for any reason, will not be re-admitted at any stage over the length of the fair, and may be subject to dispersal procedures from the local police.
- The following are acceptable means of identification: valid International Passports, valid driving licenses or ID Cards showing the PASS mark
- Alcohol can be purchased at this event from a number of licensed stalls and venues but must be consumed responsibly. It will not be sold to anyone who is drunk, disorderly or under 18 years of age.
- Identification must be shown, on request, to stall / venue staff and event security. It is the decision of the seller as to whether alcohol is sold or not and their decision is final. Stallholders reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcohol even if a form of ID is shown.
- Anyone who abuses staff or is caught drinking under the legal age will be dealt with appropriately by event security and police.
- We ask that you do not drink and drive and that you make appropriate travel plans before the fair. The local public transport network are aware of the event and run additional services to and from major transport hubs i.e. Salisbury city.
- We ask that you do not drink alcohol outside the event perimeter this will be enforced by the local Police if required.
- No illicit drugs are to be brought into the fair site by law and will be removed. Refusal of entry will apply if this is attempted
- No lasers, fireworks or weapons are permitted on the fair site and appropriate action will be taken by local Police and event security if this is attempted.
The Downton Cuckoo Fair would like to thank you for your cooperation and hope you enjoy the event. For any further details or queries during the event please contact a Zone Marshall, a member of the Event Management Team or go to the Information Tent located in the centre of the village by the Co-Op.
Also might we need to include any emergency measures and the committee’s response to a serious incident? And what we would expect the public to do?